22.3.16

Classic Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Life tip of the day. If something's going well, there's no need to revamp it. Looking for improvements is always great, but don't go and rewrite it if it works!
Why am I expressing this today, you ask? Other than the fact that it is so true, it's because this is the tale of this banana bread. It's often recipes like this one that I tend to overlook because I've been making it for almost ten years now. Every time I make this banana bread, it's delicious, never goes wrong and yet I felt it too commonplace to share simply because I make it so often and have been doing so for so long... But then last evening after a fresh batch came out of the oven, beautifully crusted on the outside and gorgeously fluffy and steamy inside, I realized that it was time I post a recipe. Dare I say, it just may be my family's favorite recipe. It's made every week at home and despite all the other exciting (or I hope!) treats I whip up, this is always the first to go. 

The main culprit: my sister. She's head-over-heels obsessed with this banana bread with chocolate chips. Read: the chocolate chips are essential. Not optional. 
If the rest of us had it our way, we'd definitely throw in a handful of chopped, toasted walnuts. The nuttiness and crunch is irreplaceable. But (if you've read another post or few) you'd know that the sis and nuts don't get along too well. So I restrain. You won't miss them, but equally, feel free to throw in a few if you so wish!

While this is baking, I can assure that you'll be not-so-patiently waiting by your oven until it's ready. It smells absolutely delightful with a fragrant sweetness of banana and undertones of dark chocolate. Is there anything better? I think not.

Also, another quick tip for the day. I'm usually one to avoid the end slices of loaf cakes and head straight for a large center slice, but with this one, I strongly urge you to fight over the end slices. The sweet crust just can't be beat. 

So come on, grab those ripe bananas on your countertop, take fifteen minutes out of your day and get baking!

PS. The sun is shining so brightly this morning in London - it makes me one happy gal!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup baby oats
pinch of salt 
3/4 cup unrefined sugar
3 tbsp coconut oil (softened) + 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted), divided
2 eggs
3 ripe-overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp milk
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 170 C. Line a loaf baking pan with with baking paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together softened coconut oil and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs and beat again until light and well combined. Stir in the mashed bananas, vanilla and melted coconut oil.

Sift in the flour and salt. Add the oats. Lightly mix all ingredients until just combined.

In a mug, add the baking soda to the milk and add this to the batter.

Gently fold in the chocolate chips.

Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the top is well-risen, golden brown, crusty and a toothpick inserted comes out just clean.

Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool further.

Cut yourself a thick (end!) slice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment