8.9.15

Chocolate Banana Bread

Now before we even begin to talk about the food, I have to say that am I not the least bit pleased with the changing London weather. I can't hide from the (abysmal) fact that I preempted the arrival of autumn when I posted this apple cranberry spice loaf... but really? WHY.

In case I haven't made it clear already, I am a warm weather, summer, lots of sun and blue skies kind of girl. For those of you out there exactly like me, you must be wondering if there even is another "type". Let me assure you, there is. Case in point: my beloved sister. She yearns for cold weather, snow and days she can wear thick coats and knee-high boots. I on the other hand, dread them. Thankfully, my ability to cope with the cold weather is pretty good, but it doesn't mean I like it!

Getting back to what you're all really here for.

Chocolate here, chocolate there, chocolate chocolate everywhere. Chocolate is an obsession, an addiction, a weak point of mine. When I see three (incredibly) over-ripe bananas sitting in the fruit bowl, banana bread or muffins immediately come to mind. But not one of them has been a completely chocolate recipe. Bananas and chocolate are a pairing that was meant to be. I don't know why it took me so long to actually get down and fully combine the two.

This good-for-you (for the most part) banana chocolate bread tastes like a slice of decadent chocolate cake with the most wonderful fruity undertones and perfume. You are most definitely allowed to talk yourself into eating this for breakfast, and then permitted to eat it again as an afternoon snack and then, if you're really feeling it, with a scoop of rich chocolate ice cream for a post-dinner dessert.

As I'm writing this, there is a small sliver of this bread still left, and well, we know who's getting to eat it (Read: ME)!

So ripen those bananas, pull out your loaf tin, turn on your oven and get baking!

Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2/3 cup unrefined sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 170 C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the sugar and coconut oil. Add the eggs, mashed banana, yogurt and vanilla and beat again until light and fluffly.

In a separate medium bowl, sift together the flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and fold gently until just combined.

Pour the prepared batter in the loaf tin and optionally, place a few banana slices on top for decoration.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment