25.8.15

Apple Cranberry Spice Loaf

Cinnamon sugar goodness. I just realized how autumn-y this loaf is, and I'm really really sorry because trust me, I'm the last person who wants to say goodbye to summer. But you'll thank me, once you make this, because it will blow. your. socks. off.

On that note, it's been raining quite a bit here in London and that does not make me happy. I've even had to whip out a coat once in a while and that is nooo good.
I have just about a month until I head back to university and that means crunch time. I need to get in all the baking I can because I know it will go on hiatus during the two months of university term time. Maybe not completely MIA, but pretty much there.

I told my best friend that I had made an apple cranberry spice loaf and without having seen a picture or tasted a bite, he told me just how amazing it sounded. And well, what can I say? It is! So - get baking!

Ingredients
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup soft brown sugar
1/3 cup unrefined sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 heaped tbsp coconut oil
2 eggs
2 apples, roughly chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped into smaller pieces
1 tbsp raw sugar + 1/4 tsp cinnamon, for sprinkling

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 170 C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.

In a separate bowl, beat together the coconut oil and sugars. Add the eggs and beat again until light and fluffy. Finally, add in the buttermilk and beat again.

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined.

Fold in the chopped apples and cranberries. Feel free to toss in some chopped nuts here as well!

Pour the batter into the loaf tin and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve - warm can't be beat. Enjoy!

1 comment: