23.7.14

Double Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

If you read my last post, then you'd have known this was coming. And it's coming with force! This is double-the-trouble, double-chocolate and double-the-yumminess. Not only is the batter chocolate-y, but its loaded with chocolate chips, taking this to the next level.


Baking this wonderful loaf satisfied several purposes: 1) my desire to bake, 2) my chocolate cravings and 3) our quest to use up all my summer zucchini.


The base batter is very similar to that of my zucchini coconut loaf, but with an extra egg added in and the cocoa powder to make it chocolate-y, of course. It satiates all chocolate cravings, is perfectly sweet, yet healthy enough for breakfast. Before I continue, just look at those chocolate chips! Mmm... I bet you're drooling already. 
Unlike in the last recipe, I peeled the zucchini for this one, as I wasn't sure I wanted to see the stark green shreds when eating a slice of chocolate bread. On retrospect, I may not have minded it as it adds an extra element of flair to a standard chocolate loaf, which this is not! I leave this decision up to you!

I just had one more dilemma. Every time I pulled this loaf out of the fridge, I cut a slice, and then stopped. I simply couldn't decide whether I liked this warmed up slightly, so the cake became soft and chocolate chips all gooey or whether I liked it cold and almost fudgy. Such a hard decision!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2/3 cup unrefined sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt
1 1/2 cup peeled and grated zucchini, with liquid squeezed out
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 170 C. Line a loaf baking pan with baking paper and set aside.

Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine.

In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil together. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and yogurt. Mix in the zucchini with a large spoon.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a large spoon or spatula, until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (disregarding the chocolate chips as they are bound to be melty!).

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into (thick!) slices and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment