1.4.14

Baked Apple Pancake (Salted Caramel NOT Optional!)

And now it's time for the second recipe in the brunch series!
This delicious apple pancake is fuss free, light* and baked in the oven! It's has just that perfect hint of cinnamon and sweetness. It isn't very sweet so you must dowse it in oodles of this salted caramel! If you don't have it made (don't buy please!), honey or maple syrup will suffice. But trust me, the caramel in combination with the cinnamon-y apples - yum!
*It's perfectly fine to ignore the fact that when these are drenched in salted caramel, they're not light anymore, but, hey - we all have a right to indulge once in a while! Balance is key.

The batter is very thin, so don't be alarmed when yours turns out that way. It bakes to create a very light, airy, fluffy pancake! Oh, and when I say pancake, I don't mean like a cm or less thick. Rather, it's the texture and taste of a pancake... In sort-of a cake form! I would combine the words pancake and cake, but I think you probably see how that would fail!


Ingredients
2 large or 3 small firm, crisp and tasty apples, thinly sliced**
3 tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp applesauce
1 tbsp unrefined cane sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

**I used Pink Lady, but I'm biased because I'm very picky about my apples and these and Granny Smith are the only ones I eat!

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 175 C.
Lightly butter and flour a round, but relatively flat, baking dish.
Toss together the sliced apples, light brown sugar and cinnamon and arrange on the bottom of the baking dish.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Mix in the sugar and flour until just combined.
Pour the batter on top of the apples.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is browned and set.
Wait for it to cool slightly then dust with icing sugar.
NOT optionally, top with lots of this salted caramel and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment