27.8.13

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread

So, first off, my family and I have now officially moved into our apartment in London, which means.... I can get back to baking and blogging! Before I begin, hello from London and from a new kitchen after five years in the same one in Singapore. 

To stock up for groceries, we made trips to three different grocery stores and accidentally bought a few too many bananas (but that's never really a problem - smoothies, one ingredient ice cream, banana bread). I went with the last option and whipped up a banana bread recipe I've been wanting to make for the longest time. I make regular spiced banana bread and chocolate chip banana bread all the time, but this one is on a whole other league - CINNAMON SUGAR SWIRL. I think that explains it all.
The bread is moist, sweet, full of banana and has the most amazing cinnamon sugar aroma. Don't blame me if you pull it out of the oven before it's even done baking! I just baked the bread today, and over half of it is gone. My mom, sister and I ate it as an evening snack and both my sister and dad are taking it to school and work as a bite. Lucky me because it means I don't have to wait too long before I bake something else!

Anyways, as I said, this is a wonderful recipe with a secret cinnamon sugar swirl. Grab your overripe bananas and get baking!

Banana Bread
2 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 large eggs
3 mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup plain or honey yogurt (reduce the sugar a bit if using honey yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cinnamon Swirl
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Instructions 
Preheat oven to 175 C. Line a loaf pan with baking paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.

In a larger bowl, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.

With a large spoon, stir in the mashed banana, yogurt and vanilla. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Do not overmix!
Spoon half the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Completely cover the batter by sprinkling the cinnamon sugar mixture over top. Top with the remaining batter. Bake for an hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
As always, enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment